All users of the Danforth Center Data Science infrastructure must first acknowledge that they have read and understand the Usage Policies.
Setting up your workstation¶
Jupyter Notebook access¶
On any platform, point your web browser to https://jupyter.datasci.danforthcenter.org and enter your Data Science username and password.
You will need a terminal application that supports
ssh to log into the Data Science infrastructure. Below are some
recommended applications by platform.
- macOS: Terminal (built-in), iTerm2.
- Linux/Unix: Terminal (built-in).
- Windows: Windows Subsystem for Linux (Windows 10 only), PuTTY, Cygwin.
To log into the system via ssh, open one of the above applications and enter the command:
where username is your Data Science username. The first time you log in you will need to type "yes" to accept the server's key.
- macOS: Cyberduck/Mountain Duck, Transmit, FileZilla.
- Linux/Unix: System file browser (built-in), FileZilla.
- Windows: Cyberduck/Mountain Duck, WinSCP, FileZilla.
The above applications will let you quickly browse the Data Science filesystem. Many will even let you edit files directly on the server from your local computer.
For large file transfers it is often better to download directly from the source onto the system without using your
local computer as a mid-point stop. This can be done on the server
chronos or in the HTCondor cluster using
wget or curl.
See the HTCondor guide for more information.